I’ve been super lame about continuing the TV meme. Here, have a fantastic Leverage/White Collar crossover fic!
Let the “Year In Review” memes begin! So what if I’m a week late. :D
(wow, this is pathetic)
- Darkly Dreaming Dexter, Jeff Lindsay
- Sex, Time, and Power: How Women’s Sexuality Shaped Human Evolution, Leonard Shlain
- Persepolis I, Marjane Satrapi
- Embroideries, Marjane Satrapi
- Persepolis II, Marjane Satrapi
- The Gun Seller, Hugh Laurie
- Memo to the President Elect: How We Can Restore America’s Reputation and Leadership, Madeline Albright
- Watchmen, Alan Moore
- Superman: Red Son, Mark Millar
- Buffy Season 8: The Long Way Home, Joss Whedon
- “Backup,” Jim Butcher
- Dealing With Dragons, Patricia Wrede
- Searching For Dragons, Patricia Wrede
- Calling On Dragons, Patricia Wrede
- Talking To Dragons, Patricia Wrede
- The Secret History of Moscow, Ekaterina Sedia
- Butcher Bird, Richard Kadrey
- Welcome to the Jungle, Jim Butcher
- Havemercy, Jaida Jones and Danielle Bennet
- Princeps’ Fury, Jim Butcher
- The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1, Alan Moore
- Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox, Eoin Colfer
- The Middleman Volume 1: The Trade Paperback Imperative, Javier Grillo-Marxuach
- Y: The Last Man, Vol. 6: Girl on Girl, Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra
- Y: The Last Man, Vol. 7: Paper Dolls, Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra
- Y: The Last Man, Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons, Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra
- Y: The Last Man, Vol. 9: Motherland, Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra
- Y: The Last Man, Vol. 10: Whys and Wherefores, Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra
- The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss
- “Last Call,” Jim Butcher
- “The Warrior,” Jim Butcher
- The Warrior’s Apprentice, Lois McMaster Bujold
- “The Mountains of Mourning,” Lois McMaster Bujold
- “Curses,” Jim Butcher
- Nation, Terry Pratchett
- The Wordy Shipmates, Sarah Vowell
- The Queen’s Bastard, C.E. Murphy
- The Graveyard Book, Neil Gaiman
- Turn Coat, Jim Butcher (Jim finished it December 31st! Handy!)
Currently reading The Vor Game by Lois McMaster Bujold, and will continue More Information Than You Require by John Hodgman as soon as I remember where I put it.
- (1/25) Feedback. Molly/Carlos.
- (3/19) A December Memory. Gen. Features Murphy and assorted relatives.
- (3/19) Explain the Bruise. Molly/Carlos.
- (3/19) The Long Way. I wrote it as Harry/Murphy, but I didn’t include names. Feel free to read whatever you want into it. :D
- (3/19) The Key. Gen. Features Molly and Harry.
- (4/09) Small Mercies. Mostly gen, but with some Michael/Charity. Features the whole Carpenter clan.
- (5/02) Learning to Drive. Gen. Features Harry and Ebenezar.
- (5/02) Something is Burning. Features Harry, Elaine, and Justin.
- (5/24) A Personage of Noble Rank and Title. Gen. Features Morgan and a bunch of fun cameos.
- (6/01) I Spy. Molly/Carlos.
- (9/11) The Body. Harry/Luccio.
- (9/14) Humidity. Gen. Features Harry and Murphy.
- (9/14) Injuries. Gen. Features Harry.
- (10/21) Off Guard. Sort of Gard/Hendricks, because I’m a very twisted person.
- (11/12) The Other Son. Mostly gen, with some Thomas/Justine.
- (12/20) The Landscape. Part gen, part Amara/Bernard. I’m in the process of revising it.
Looking back, did you write more fic than you thought you would this year, less, or about what you’d predicted?
About what I predicted. Less than I would have liked. But then again, I only started writing fic in early 2007, and hopefully I’ll get better and faster at putting my words on paper as I continue to practice.
What pairing/genre/fandom did you write that you would never have predicted in January 2008?
I certainly never imagined writing a Morgan-centric fic, as I figured that was Puck’s territory. Guess not, as she hasn’t even bothered to read it. :D
Did you take any writing risks this year? (See above for unexpected pairings, etc.) What did you learn from them?
I created a major original character in Judith and managed to keep her from becoming a Mary Sue! Huzzah! Another major challenge was writing from Hendricks’ terse (and frankly obscene) POV. I wanted to wash out my keyboard with soap afterwards. :D
Do you have any fanfic or profic goals for the New Year?
I’d like to continue to develop my own original ideas and characters for a potential 3D animated short. Or maybe a musical. Or a musical 3D animated short.
My Best Story: I’m torn between A Personage of Noble Rank and Title, The Other Son, and Small Mercies. With Personage, I’m not only really proud of the story on the surface, but it’s so unbelievably chock-full of hidden details you’d go mad trying to find them all. Finally, I’ve written another story with the reread value of Cold Comfort! For The Other Son, I’m head over heels about the soulgaze scene. Whenever I came up with a new visual or some other kind of metaphor to enhance the scene, I was filled with actual joy. As for Small Mercies, I love each tiny moment independently, and strung together, they all make a pretty moving little story.
Story Most Underappreciated by the Universe: The Landscape. Yeah, so I don’t really consider it “done.” Yeah, so I’ve written all over it that I’m in the process of revising it, as the version I posted for Yuletide isn’t remotely polished. Still, I feel like only two people have read it. This is particularly disheartening, as I believe it’s the first non-slash story to be written in the Codex Alera fandom. That’s lame, guys.
Most fun: I Spy. It’s lighthearted and goofy and comfortable.
Most disappointing: Off Guard. I love all the non-sexy parts and hate all the sex, which is unfortunate considering I wrote it for a friend who requested smut for her birthday. And because all the sex stuff is toward the beginning, I don’t think anyone bothered to keep reading and get to the good stuff and the real reason I picked that ship. Alas. (No, Mom and Dad, you will NOT get curious about what I mean by this and read the story. This is off limits! :D)
Most sexy: The Body. Because insight and healing are sexier to me than any smut. Honorable Mention: Feedback, because it’s just so fun and carefree and silly. (A few months after I wrote the story, while smooching with my now-ex-but-then-current boyfriend, he told me to make sure I gave him feedback. It took me a full minute to stop laughing.)
Hardest to Write: Writing the aforementioned hated scenes in Off Guard was like pulling teeth.
Word count: 21,548. Nearly half of this was Personage. :D Not too shabby for a newbie writer who works 50+ hours each week!
I wrote fic! Fic for Kat for the Dresden Halloween Ficathon! Fic that I’m really, really proud of, and that made Kat cry!
I promise to never use my powers for evil.
Title: The Other Son
Fandom: Dresden Files bookverse
Characters: Thomas, Harry, Justine, Susan, and an unexpected guest or two
Prompt: “Thomas on Harry. Let’s see his POV on his baby brother. I don’t want slash of any sort, just brotherly shenanigans.” –Kat
Word Count: 4,846
Summary: Thomas Raith has a brother.
Spoilers: Up through Blood Rites
Disclaimer: Thomas, Harry, and all other assorted Dresden-y characters and concepts belong to Jim Butcher and Penguin Books.
Link: Read it at The Archive!
Hello, Yuletide Santa! This is my first year participating, and in my confusion I was woefully unspecific in my requests. My letter clarifying my desires is here.
Just signed up for Yuletide. I was quite amused at the character list participants had assembled for the Dresden Files, as it includes a “Frank Hendricks.” I know that’s the name his player in the Hearts and Minds RPG came up with for him, but I wasn’t aware it was so firmly entrenched in fanon! Somehow I felt like a party pooper, correcting it to Nathan.
In other news, Kristin sent me the photographs she took of me as a psychotic, murderous queen. I have a freakishly long neck and evil-looking clavicles. It’s good to be the queen!
Ficathonfic is posted! 9,185 words. :D
My Prompt, from quick_silver985: “Morgan seems a little grumpy. Oh, I wonder if there’s some interesting story in his background that made him the way he is today… some tragic love, perhaps. Or the loss of of a dear friend, sibling, or parent. Who knows? Let’s see a fic about it!”
Rated PG-13 for gratuitous use of Gilbert and Sullivan.
My ficathonfic just surpassed 9,000 words. Considering that the minimum was a paltry 1,000, I am insane, yes? My astonishment can only be conveyed in an obnoxious and tedious yet somehow ridiculously popular YouTube video.
Woohoo, Dresden Files Ficathon! Doo eeeeet.
And AAAAAAAARGH. I just ripped my SECOND pair of jeans in TEN DAYS. Sure, these were very old jeans, but they were my favourites. Also, poor timing, universe! If this had to happen, why couldn’t it have happened yesterday? I could have gone shopping today and taken advantage of all those lovely Presidents’ Day sales.
LIFE IS SO HARD.
Oh Firefly marathon, will you make it better? Of course you will! You’re a Firefly marathon! You make everything better!
Maybe my ripped jeans are a sign from God that I should dress up as Delirium for Comic Con.
(This moodswing is brought to you by the chromosomes XX and the color Red.)