- Confirmed by JK Rowling
- Very confident in its accuracy
- Moderately confident in its accuracy
- Not very confident
- Confirmed false, but I felt like posting it anyway.
Jarvey - resembles an overgrown ferret. Speaks mostly in insults.
- According to Brewers "Dictionary of Phrase and Fable", a Jarvey is a hackney-coach driver. Much thanks to Robert Carnegie for the tip!
- However, I see more of Jo's creation in Brewer's definition of "Jarvie", a Glasgow magistrate in Scott's Rob Roy. "He is petulant, conceited, purse-proud, without tact, and intensely prejudiced."
Jigger, Arsenius - wrote Magical Drafts and Potions
- Arsenic is a poison.
- A "jigger" is a small measure for liquor, usually holding 11/2 oz.
Jones, Hestia - member of the Order of the Phoenix
- Her character isn't developed, so we don't know how this fits, but Hestia is the Greek goddess of the hearth. Like Nymphadora Tonks, Hermione Granger, and (to some extent) Lavender Brown, Hestia Jones is yet another witch with a dull surname and a more exciting, exotic first name.
|Previous Letter||Names Index||Next Letter|